How to Work (Almost) Anywhere in the United States

Since July 2019, Kansas has been a member of the compact nursing states under the Nursing Licensure Compact. This means that if you live in Kansas permanently, you can work in any one of 34 states under a single license. It also means that if you live in another compact nursing state, you can work in Kansas with the same licensing requirements.

Suddenly, the world of travel nursing is open to you without lengthy and expensive licensing processes for each state you wish to work in. All you need is a Compact License. Great news for RNs and LPNs.

At QS Nurses, we gain contracts for nurses to work primarily in Kansas, but also occasionally in Colorado, Oklahoma, and Nebraska. We continue growing and adding clients every week!

We’ve put together the answers to your most common Nursing Licensure Compact questions to help you decide on your next nursing move.

Who Does the Nursing License Compact (NLC) Apply to?

The NLC covers Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses. Advanced Practical Registered Nurses must still hold individual state licenses.

What Is the Meaning of ‘Primary State of Residence’?

Your primary state of residence (PSOR) is determined by the state noted on various legal documents. These might include:

  • Your driver’s license
  • Federal income tax return
  • Voter registration card

You may also have a military form 2058 or W2 form from your PSOR. It’s important to note that your PSOR is not determined by where you own your home.

Do I Need a Compact License?

You must be registered in the state in which you’re practicing (this also includes if you are working in telehealth – you are nursing in the patient’s state). An NLC (also called a multistate license) licenses you to practice in any of the compact states.

Will Moving to Another State Affect my Compact License?

Yes. If you change your legal residency then you will need to apply for your license in your new state of residence, and, consequently, apply for a new multistate license.

This means that if you are working in another state, you must take care not to do anything that would change your PSOR – for example, like renewing your driver’s license when it requires you to change your residency status to the state in which you are working.

This rule applies even if your new PSOR is a compact state.

How Long Can I Work in Other Compact Nursing States Under the NLC?

Providing you remain a legal resident of the state that issued your multistate license, you can work in another compact state for as long as you wish. Of course, you must remain in good standing while working.

I’m Already Licensed in Kansas. Do I Need to Apply for a Multistate License?

If your PSOR was Kansas when you applied for your license here, then you should already have a multistate license. You can check your license status on the National Council of State Boards of Nursing website, nursys.com.

How Do I Obtain a Multistate License?

If you are a resident in Kansas and hold a Kansas license, you will need to pass the eligibility test of the Board of Nursing. This process starts when you apply for a multistate license.

New graduates must apply for license by examination (you can find out more here).

If you are a nurse who now resides in Kansas but not yet licensed here, complete the application for license by endorsement.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for a Multistate License in Kansas?

There are 11 requirements that you must meet to obtain a multistate license. A multistate license will not be issued to you if you don’t pass all the following:

  • Kansas is your PSOR
  • You have graduated from a board-approved education program, or an approved international education program
  • You have passed an English proficiency exam if your international qualification was not taught in English, or English is not your native language
  • You have passed NCLEX–RN or NCLEX-PN examination or predecessor equivalent
  • You are eligible for or hold an active license without active discipline
  • You have submitted to state and federal background checks by fingerprint
  • You are not a convicted felon (federal or state)
  • You have no misdemeanor convictions related to nursing
  • You don’t currently participate in an impaired provider program
  • You self-disclose if you are a current participant in an alternative program
  • You hold a valid United States Social Security number

Providing you pass these 11 requirements, then you should be good to go. (If you are not sure, get in touch with us and we’ll talk you through the process.

Where Do You Want Your Nursing License to Take You?

Your nursing career can now take you across the United States, working in any of the compact nursing states. For those nurses who wish to work in Kansas, QS Nurses is here to help you. At the time of writing, we have dozens of contract opportunities in Kansas. Our clients are waiting for you!

All you need is a multistate license. If you have any other questions, would like help in applying for your multistate license, or want to discover the great nursing jobs in Kansas you could apply to now, contact QS Nurses today.

We’ll help you achieve your potential, in both your professional and personal life- and we provide up to date industry information to help you maintain your career and maximize your earnings.