Order ID: 11097
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Start date subject to change
Start Date: 12-04-2023
End Date: 03-04-2024
Shift Start: 7:00am
Shift End: 7:00pm
Psychiatric Nurses provide care to mentally ill patients, as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Because patients need round-the-clock care, working hours include days, nights, weekends and holidays. The number of patients assigned per shift will vary. The role can be potentially stressful given the high level of care that needs to be given to patients. Nurses spend considerable time walking, bending, stretching and standing; they assist in patient transfers, so a certain level of stamina is required. Nurses must guard against back injury must by utilizing proper body mechanics and encouraging others to do so as well. In addition, the population cared for will contain patients that are confused, delusional, irrational, agitated, or uncooperative.
- Current KS or Compact Multi-state License
- College Degree in Practical Nursing
- Valid BLS
- Prior experience unless in an approved Preceptor Program
- Excellent leadership, communication and organizational skills
- Compassionate with sound judgement and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work following State and Federal regulations for the licensure of the facility you are working in
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and medical software systems and Electronic medical records software
- Ability to handle stress and varied work shifts
- Desire to work with all people, irrespective of background, race or creed
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Physically able to lift patients. Knowledge and commitment to the use of a gait belt for ALL assisted transfers. Commitment to use two staff for all transfers requiring the use of a mechanical lift.
- Tactful and approachable personality.
- Ability to keep commitments and show up to confirmed shifts.
- Ability to flex to the needs of the facility.
- Completes physical & mental health assessments
- Develops care plans for patients, helping them be as independent as possible
- Administers and monitors treatment regimens
- Administers prescribed medications
- Observes and reports behavioral changes to the appropriate medical staff
- Maintains control of drugs and medications
- Helps patients improve their coping skills
- Works with patients’ families to help improve the patient’s abilities & help them deal with family member’s mental illness
- Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting